Wednesday, November 7, 2007

RECALL: Aqua Dots Can Turn Toxic If Ingested

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Spin Master of Canada, today announced a voluntary recall of more than 4 million Aqua Dots products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures. The Commission has received two reports over the past several days of children swallowing Aqua Dots. A 20-month-old child swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state for a period of time, was hospitalized, and has since fully recovered. A second child also vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days.
Description: The recalled toy is a craft kit which allows children to create various multi-dimensional designs using small colored beads. The beads fuse together when sprayed with water. The recall applies to all models of Aqua Dots. The product is available in various different kits with accessories such as a drying fan, applicator pen, design templates for the beads, and spray bottle. The product is labeled for ages 4+. They were sold at major retailers and arts & crafts stores nationwide from April 2007 through November 2007 for between $17 and $30 and manufactured in China.
Consumers should immediately take the recalled toy away from children and contact Spin Master to return for free replacement beads or a toy of equal value. For additional information, contact Spin Master at 800-622-8339 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, or visit

No comments: