Friday, February 18, 2011

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious


Mary Poppins Broadway Musical
Boston Opera House,  February 17 - March 20
by Carrie Wattu, baystateparent editor

I want a Mary Poppins coat!

That's what I thought after baystateparent designer, Steph Renaud, and I took my 10-year-old daughter to see Mary Poppins in Boston last night.

Caroline Sheen as Mary Poppins was so striking and elegant, it made
me fall in love with the character. Her voice was as stunning as the vibrant colors of her wardrobe.

I've always liked the gratuitous Disney songs but never loved Mary Poppins.

Until now.

The whole performance was magical from the chimney sweep tap dancing to the hip
choreography in "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"

And yes, there are many over-the-top Mary Poppins-esque theatrics that take the performance to
a "new heights." Lots of surprises!

If you get the chance to see this happy show, we highly recommend it. The parking was reasonable (just $12). The Opera House is beautiful. And the performance....supercalifragilisticexpiadlidocious.

Just note that producers recommend this production for children ages 6 and older. We would agree as it's a lot of money to spend on a ticket for a young child who may not have the patience for the entire show (it is long as musicals tend to be). Also, many adults told us they felt "funny" going to the show without their children. Don't! My daughter enjoyed it, but as an adult, I really appreciated the ingenuity and  intricacies of a production of this size that a child may not be old enough to understand.

One thing is for sure...you'll be humming cheerfully the entire next day!
(Apologize ahead of time...I did)

http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/

No comments: