My daughter starts first grade in two weeks, so I told her we would do a few more "fun things" before her summer vacation ends.
Today, we attended a performance of Schoolhouse Rock Live! at Foothills Theatre in Worcester. She had a great time bopping and swaying to the music. She sang some of the songs, that I sung as a child, all the way home; and is still singing some tonight as I put her to bed.
* "Conjunction Junction, what's your function? Hooking up words and phrases and clauses."
* "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here."
* "Interplanet Janet, she's a galaxy girl, A solar system Ms. from a future world"
* "A man and a woman had a little baby, Yes, they did. They had three in the family, And that's a magic number"
* "I find it quite interesting, A noun's a person, place, or thing"
* "Ouch! That hurts! Yow! That's not fair givin' a guy a shot down there!"
Below is a few photos from the performance, sponsored by Bay State Parent magazine:
The theatre show is based on the Emmy Award-winning 1970s Saturday morning cartoon series that taught history, grammar, math, science, and politics through clever, tuneful songs. (I can tell you I wasn't the only one humming The Preamble in my fourth grade civics class on our test about the U.S. Constitution. )
And although every child in the audience was born way after the cartoon series was created and last aired (1985); they thoroughly were enjoying the songs and the performances.
Show Synopsis: Tom, a nerve-wracked school teacher nervous about his first day, tries to relax by watching TV when various characters representing facets of his personality emerge from the set and show him how to win his students over with imagination and music, through such beloved Schoolhouse Rock songs as Just A Bill, Unpack Your Adjectives, Mother Necessity and Conjunction Junction. The theatre show was created in the early 1990s.
Tickets are just $10 per person. Shows are 10 a.m., tomorrow through Saturday, Aug. 18 and Wednesday, Aug. 22 through Saturday, Aug. 25.
(The first 2 readers to e-mails me at email@example.com , and can pick up tickets in Holden, can have a voucher for 4 FREE tickets to the show.)