Tuesday, July 15, 2008

REVIEW: The Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs

By Jennifer Lucarelli Shimer

Since I was a little girl, I have heard the stories of the Three Little Pigs, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, and Goldilocks and The Three Bears. But never have I seen such a wonderful story of all three tales put together in once fantastic children’s show.
This morning, I took my 4-year-old son Thomas along with my 1-year-old son Derek to see Foothills Theatre production of The Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs and it was a wonderful show. My sons had never experienced live theater before and certainly never heard the story of the Three Pigs like this.
And as a special treat, we sat only a few rows from the stage (it’s a small theater setting, perfect for little ones), and boy did my sons enjoy that. Thomas sat quietly in his seat mesmerized by the antics of the pigs, the wolf, the goats, the troll, and goldilocks and the three bears.
The show was funny, age appropriate, and entertaining for children of all ages, and even with some jokes thrown in for the adults in the audience, as well. Derek, my 1-year-old, even enjoyed the twist on an old classic tale as well as all the laughing and running around of the actors.
And as a special treat after the show, the entire cast was available to meet the children and sign autographs. That is definitely something you can’t experience on Broadway. And each of the actors was engaging with the children after the show – and boy did Thomas love meeting all the characters after the show.
While I’ve seen theater productions growing up and even as an adult, the Children’s Theater productions at Foothills are a great way to introduce little ones to the theater and entertain them as well. I can’t wait to see Mother Goose, which will be playing July 22nd to August 2nd.
.
The Surprising Story of the Three Little Pigs plays at Foothills Theatre in Worcester through Saturday, July 19th. Tickets are $10. www.foothillstheatre.com
.

No comments: