2009 Radio 92.9 EarthFest To Feature Kids Planet, An Interactive Family Area
Musical Acts, Environmental Exhibits and Activities Create a Perfect Destination for the Entire Family
Boston, MA (May 14, 2009): >From family-friendly musical acts to face painting and food sampling, Radio 92.9 EarthFest is the perfect destination for families and kids of all ages. The 2009 Radio 92.9 EarthFest will feature The Kids Planet, an expanded interactive area offering family-friendly entertainment and activities. The 16th annual event is free and will be held on May 30th, 2009 from Noon to 5:00 pm at the DCR’s Memorial Hatch Shell in Boston. The Kids Planet activities begin at 10 a.m.
The Kids Planet will feature a wide variety of musical acts and entertainment as well as environmental activities and educational displays. Musical performances will feature family-friendly bands including; Sarah Wheeler and Little Groove, Michael and Marissa, The Bravo Brothers and Zumix. Additional activities in The Kids Planet range from face painting to healthy treats, compliments of Whole Foods Market, Stonyfield Farms and a variety of other vendors.
Throughout the day, families can wander through the Whole Foods Mercado. Inside, children can play with grocery-themed toys like squishy fruits and vegetables and wooden blocks shaped like grocery staples. Kids can learn about healthy eating with coloring sheets and an interactive display about the food pyramid. The Whole Foods bakery will even be baking up fresh chocolate chip cookies throughout the day for everyone to enjoy.
Ocean River Institute and Boston Harbor Alliance will both be onsite in The Kids Planet, offering educational awareness for all ages. Ocean River will offer families specific opportunities to make a difference in environmental education, science, and conservation. Boston Harbor Island Alliance will be promoting the use, enjoyment and awareness of the Boston Harbor Islands national park area and all the vibrant public spaces have to offer.
Musical performances on The Kids Planet stage will begin at 11:00 am. This year’s performers include:
* Zumix Guitar Ensemble, group members composed from Zumix, a non-profit, cultural organization dedicated to building community through music and the arts. Located in East Boston, MA, ZUMIX provides top-quality cultural programming as an alternative way for young people to deal with frustration, anger and fear, and as a method of building cultural understanding and acceptance in one of Boston's most diverse neighborhoods.
* Sarah Wheeler and Little Groove- Little Groove is quality, groovy, fun, and educational music for children that adults can enjoy along with their children. Sara Wheeler, the lead singer of Little Groove, has toured and performed her original music all over the world and has taken all of her knowledge from past touring, recording and production experiences and poured these ingredients into her new children's CD Building Blocks. Loved by both children and adults, Sara's children's music is both creative and extremely catchy. Little Groove released their debut CD in 2008 titled Building Blocks and has since been designated a 2008 Parents' Choice Silver Honor award winner. Little Groove is also a 2008 National Parenting Publications Award winner.
* A lifelong brother and sisterly love for music caused Michael and Marisa to combine their rockin' energy and start performing in public together when they were only 7 and 8 years-old. They look like twins and can finish each other’s sentences, but what is most intriguing is that their resume spans over 100 engagements, including performances in major cities such as Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Nashville, and Pittsburgh.
* The Bravo Brothers infuse excitement and education both on-stage and in the studio with their lively, comical, and creative performances. Brian Dwyer is an established, award-winning entertainer who has performed thousands of shows from coast to coast. Rick Pantano is an award-winning songwriter and talented multi-instrumentalist, Rick has traveled throughout New England as a solo artist, with various groups, and most recently performing as a Bravo Brother. The Bravo Brothers are committed to energizing families by sharing fun, educational, and interactive entertainment and can be counted on to deliver a performance that will please audiences of all ages.
* Zumix Divercity Band is composed of ZUMIX's songwriters who use their voices, rhythm, and energy to express what's on their minds. They take their messages to the street, performing locally and touring throughout the Northeast. From Hip Hop to Rock, students express themselves through a wide variety of popular music.
The 2009 Radio 92.9 EarthFest is committed to offering festival goers an opportunity to learn how they can make a difference and help save Planet Earth. The festival will feature exhibits and environmental displays, staffed by sponsors and non-profit environmental organizations from New England. A comprehensive recycling program will be put in place throughout the duration of the show and Mass Bike will be onsite staffing a free bike-valet program sponsored by International Bicycle, offering concertgoers an alternative to driving to the festival.
Radio 929 recommends festival goers ride their bikes or take the MBTA to the Hatch Shell. Take the Green Line to Arlington Street or take the Red Line to Charles Street / MGH. For more details, visit the MBTA website at www.mbta.com
For additional information on the 16th Annual Radio 92.9 EarthFest please visit www.earthfest.com.
# # #