MAKE WAY FOR MUGGLES AND WIZARDS as they make their way to A FREE WIZARD WROCK Concert with Harry and the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys, and the Hungarian Horntails on the steps of Memorial Church in Hogwarts (aka Harvard Yard).
This mid-summers eve in Hogwarts Square begins at 5 p.m. and ends when the NEED TO READ sends everyone on their merry way. The 7th and Final Harry Potter installment in the series is available for sale at 12:01am tomorrow at Harvard Square book stores --- The Harvard Coop, The Harvard Bookstore, Curious George Books and Toys, and Newbury Comics. Many Harvard Square stores and restaurants plan to stay open until Midnight with Special Harry Potter themed menus, windows, events and surprises ... Check out the Harry Potter Chalk Art Gallery in front of Holyoke Center, 1350 Massachusetts Ave, too!
* WIZARDSTOCK in HOGWARTS YARD - 7 to 10 p.m. featuring Harry & the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys, and the Hungarian Horntails and other special guests!!!Hosted by Lesley Bannatyne, author of 4 Books on Halloween and noted History Channel expert on Witches, Wizards, Halloween history, and events. Lesley will take the wand and led us on our magical and musical journey for the evening.including a little light reading, an ask the witch q & a, a trivia question or two and a few prizes. This once in a lifetime MUSICAL CELEBRATION of LITERATURE features world renowned wizard rock bands: Harry & the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys, and the Hungarian Horntails and other special guests. Bring a blanket and friends and family to Hogwarts Yard and enjoy the music under the Whomping Willows in the Shade of the Hallowed Halls! The concert area will feature a display Museum Area of Harry Potter Artifacts from the Harvard Museum of Natural History and other "Storied" surprises!
* Visit The Harvard Museum of Natural History now through July 22 to uncover the science behind Harry Potter magic! Find Harry's Hedwig and your own messenger owl, seek the sorcerer's stone; select a personal patronus from many powerful creatures; learn the secrets of the mysterious herbs used in Harry's potions class in the Blaschka 'Glass Flowers' gallery; and discover the wonders of thousands of fantastic specimens of nature. Come to the Harvard Museum of Natural History, nab your Museum Marauder's Map and explore. The Harry Potter Scavenger Hunt will be free with museum admission, through July 22.
* The Harvard Coop will be distributing wristbands for RESERVED ORDERS starting at 5 p.m. on July 20. Muggles who have placed a reservation for Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows with us will be able to be first in line. Wristbands must be picked up in person and are not available until 5 p.m.. Anyone in line must have a wristband. Line will form after the concert (you'll get details when you pick your wristband up). The first 500 people with a reserved order will receive a FREE Harry Potter gift bag when they pick their wristband. 8 lucky muggles will receive an extra prize in their gift bag (FREE Harry Potter DVD; Deluxe edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on CD; 2 movie passes to see Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix). More details will be following regarding a costume contest, trivia contests, and candid photos while in line, free treats & ! lots more - including a "fan fiction" contest. Harvard Coop wristbands will also entitle you to discounts or free beverages at several Harvard Square casual restaurant locations. We can't wait for this party to start. Reserve your book now at 40% discount (you pay $20.99). If you didn't place reservation, you can join still join the line (behind those have reserved a book) or you can still count on getting a book this weekend
* Harvard Book Store, starting at 9 p.m. has activities for both kids and adults. Expand your mind with magical classes! Look into your future with our magic ball! Practice your defense against the dark arts skills! Test your Harry Potter knowledge against that of your peers! For Harry Potter fans of a certain age, there'll be potent brews served up at Grafton Street Pub & Grille. Younger readers may want to take a break from the noise (and perhaps a small nap before midnight) next door at the Grolier Poetry Book Shop. And everyone will want to partake of the scrumptious ice-creamy treats served up by Toscanini's Ice Cream, back in Harvard Square for this special evening!When you purchase this book from us (at 20% off!) you'll help keep Harvard Boo! k Store a thriving member of the Cambridge community.
* Curious George Books and Toys, Harvard Square's only independent children's bookseller will host its 7th Harry Potter Extravaganza. Doors will open at 8 p.m. to welcome all Muggles, both in or out of costume. Our fabulous in-store celebration of all things Harry Potter will include:Wand making, Trivia quizzes, Fortune telling, Sweets from Honeyduke's Candy Store, Raffles Harry Potter themed snacks and more. .. At 11:30 p.m.! Curious George's doors will close and will reopen at midnight for book sales and pick-ups. Even a wizard will be amazed at how fast the line moves.
*Brattle Film Theather Presents Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone at 9:15 pm. The Brattle Theatre is located at 40 Brattle Street. Tickets for this screening are $38 and include a copy of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows. Books will be released to ticket holders at the conclusion of the program (Harvard Book Store cannot release books until midnight). A limited number of $10 "companion" tickets will be available for this event (limit of 4, you will be contacted after we have received your order confirmation with ordering info).The Brattle Film Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, http://www.brattlefilm.org/
* All Things (To Eat & Drink!) Harry Potter at UpStairs on the Square Friday evening, July 20 from 5 to 1 a.m. All-night long the evening of July 20th, as we await the thrilling release of the final!Harry Potter adventure at midnight, UpStairs on the Square will feature a special Harry Potter menu, featuring a great kids and family friendly menu inspired by all things Harry Potter--with alcoholic and non-alcoholic butter beer and Pollyjuice flowing! The cost for this special menu will be $25, half price for kids under 12 (main course and dessert). The full a la carte menu will be available throughout the evening as well. We will host a late-night after party with secret celebrity guests until 2 a.m. The first 30 reservations will have the opportunity to get a 20% discounted book at midnight (for $30), thanks to our partnership with Harvard Book Store. UpStairs on the Square, 91 Winthrop Street, 617-864-1933 http://www.upstairsonthesquare.com/
* Grendel's Den will feature a special beer collection from Middle Ages Brewing in addition to Hogwarts-themed menus for adults and children. Grendel's Den, 617-491-1160, 89 Winthrop Street, http://www.grendelsden.com/
* Uno Harvard Square will be serving Buttered Beers for our 21 plus guests. We will also be serving Earthworm Delight Desserts, our famous brownie bowls with gummy worms to one and all. Our dining room will be decorated in Harry Potter style and our staff will be fully costumed. Uno Harvard Square, 22 JFK 617-497-1530 http://www.unos.com/
* IHOP will be until 4 a.m. serving Harry's most favorite food BACON with stacks of pancakes!IHOP, 16 Eliot Street 617-354-0999 http://www.ihop.com/
* Herrell's Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt is open until 1 a.m. and will offer free hot fudge topping to all Harry Potter Partiers!
For Complete Details of all the events visit http://www.harvardsquare.com/
This special event is sponsored by the Harvard Square Business Association, Harvard Summer School, The Harvard Coop, UpStairs on the Square, Nantucket Nectars, Qdoba Mexican Grill, Burns and Levinson, and Boston's Weekly Dig.
If you choose not to venture to far from your Muggles' home for the new book and a celebration,
many local libraries and bookstores have special late night celebrations and parties planned. Inside the July issue of Bay State Parent magazine is a list of our favorite local events. Check them out at www.baystateparent.com/news/2007/0701/Articles/006.html or try www.PotterParties.com